Nestled in the heart of the Pacific Northwest, Portland is a city renowned for its vibrant culture, breathtaking landscapes, and unique blend of creativity. As a brand that celebrates the unconventional and adventurous spirit, Death Metaled is excited to share our top recommendations for exploring this eclectic city. From exploring nature's wonders to indulging in local delicacies and embracing the thriving music scene, we've got you covered!
Things to Do:
- Portland Japanese Garden: Step into a world of tranquility at the Portland Japanese Garden, nestled in the scenic Washington Park. Explore the meticulously crafted gardens, featuring traditional Japanese landscaping techniques, serene ponds, and peaceful pathways. Experience the Zen-like atmosphere as you stroll through the authentic tea garden and admire the beauty of carefully pruned trees and vibrant flora. The Japanese Garden offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, allowing you to reconnect with nature.
Portland Japanese Garden, 611 SW Kingston Ave, Portland, OR 97205, 503-223-1321, japanesegarden.org, $
- Hollywood Theatre: Known for its unique programming and advocacy for film preservation this historic theater showcases a diverse range of films, including old classics, cult favorites, and independent gems. Take a trip back in time as you enjoy the nostalgic ambiance and indulge in a one-of-a-kind movie-watching experience. Catch a showing of 2001: Space Odyssey in 70mm or keep an eye out for special events like B-Movie Bingo, where you can test your luck and have a blast with fellow film enthusiasts.
Hollywood Theatre, 4122 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97212, 503-493-1128, hollywoodtheatre.org, $
- Mt. Tabor: Hike the tranquil oasis of Mt. Tabor, an extinct volcanic cone turned park located in the heart of Portland. Lace up your hiking boots and embark on a scenic hike through lush forests and winding trails. Reach the summit and be rewarded with panoramic views of the city skyline, Mount Hood, and the surrounding landscapes. Mt. Tabor is not only a nature lover's paradise but also a popular spot for picnics, frisbee golf, and peaceful moments of reflection.
Mt. Tabor Park, SE 60th Ave &, SE Salmon St, Portland, OR 97215, 503-823-7529, portland.gov, free
- Hike a Waterfall: With Portland's close proximity to the Columbia River Gorge, you can't miss getting out of the city for a half day to explore the lush, dense forest so closely synonymous with the PNW. We reccomend starting at Multnomah Falls and working your way back west along the Historic Columbia River Highway to stop at La Tourell and Bridal Veil Falls. Not up for the hike? Multnomah Falls, La Tourell Falls, and many smaller falls can be seen from the car or with a short walk. On your way back, be sure to stop at Crown Point for the best vista of the Columbia River and rolling mountains. End the drive with a stop in Troutdale at Sugarpine Drive-In for a soft serve ice cream.
Multnomah Falls, 53000 Historic Columbia River Hwy, Bridal Veil, OR 97010, free.
La Tourell Falls, free
Bridal Veil Falls, 46701 Historic Columbia River Hwy, Corbett, OR 97019, free.
Crown Point, 40700 Crown Point Hwy, Corbett, OR 97019, free.
Sugarpine Drive-In, 1208 E Historic Columbia River Hwy, Troutdale, OR 97060, 503-665-6558, sugarpinedrivein.com, $.
- Shop for new, or old, music: Portland has some of the most unique shopping city-wide, and the music selection is no exception. Shop for new and used vinyl or CD's at one of Portland's best record shops, like Music Millennium, 2nd Avenue Records, or Mississippi Records.
Music Millennium, 3158 E Burnside St Portland, OR 97214, 503-607-8879, musicmillennium.com, $.
Mississippi Records, 5202 N Albina Ave Portland, OR 97217, 503-282-2990, mississippirecords.net, $.
Food to Eat:
No visit to Portland is complete without indulging in its vibrant culinary scene. From unique food carts to acclaimed restaurants, the city offers a wide array of dining options to satisfy every palate, cuisine, and budget. Here are some must-visit establishments that will take your taste buds on a delightful journey.
- Paladin Pie: For pizza lovers with a twist, Paladin Pie is a hidden gem that shouldn't be missed. This Dungeons and Dragons themed food cart on NE 23rd and Alberta specializes in wood-fired pizzas with sourdough crust and creative, themed toppings. From their Jazz Cabbage which features kimchi, bacon, and sharp cheddar to their Warlock with vegan meatballs, roasted scallions, lemony ricotta, and black garlic balsamic, they offer many inventive flavors with respect, and total disregard, for tradition.
Paladin Pie, 2231 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR 97211, 503-327-8831, paladinpie.com. $-$$.
- Farmhouse Thai: With wisteria draping their front pergola and colorful oddities filling the walls, Farmhouse serves up food as welcoming and whimsical as their physical space. Their menu showcases the richness and complexity of Thai cuisine, with a fun twist and presentation, leaving you with a satisfying and memorable dining experience. Some of the highlights are pumpkin curry served in a whole pumpkin, their blue, yes blue, jasmine rice, inventive cocktails adorned with a cloud of cotton candy, and classic street food.
- Kachka: Experience the culinary traditions of Russia with Kachka, a family-style award winning restaurant serving up a modern take on classic dishes that are both comforting and innovative. We love the Herring Under a Fur Coat, Rabbit in a Clay Pot, Tvorog Vareniki dumplings, and Golubtsi. As for drinks, they specialize in vodka and offer a variety of infused flavors and flights that are very popular.
- Zuckercreme: Visit this whimsical, colorful Montavilla neighborhood cafe and food marketplace, who hosts monthly and seasonal themed events featuring local bakers and artists. Their space also has a curated gift shop with PDX made goods like clothing, ceramics, accessories, home goods, crafting supplies, and stationary/greeting cards, so it's a great place to grab a snack and a unique handmade souvenir.
Zuckercreme, 414 SE 81st Ave, Portland, OR 97215, 503-877-5226, zuckercreme.com, $.
- Good Coffee: The name says it all, really. Well, maybe not everything, since we'd say this coffee is excellent. Their high quality beans are from their Troutdale, OR based roastery, and their lattes are poured to perfection. Our picks is a classic cortado or a seasonally inspired latte, like their smoked fig with allspice or horchata.
Good Coffee, 4747 SE Division St Portland, OR 97206, https://goodwith.us/, $
Local Metal Bands:
Portland is known for its thriving and diverse music scene, and the metal community is no exception. Here are some of our favorite local metal musicians from Stumptown.
- Red Fang: This heavy-hitting stoner metal band has gained international recognition with their powerful riffs and energetic performances.
- Witch Mountain: Known for their mesmerizing blend of doom and classic heavy metal, Witch Mountain's haunting melodies and soulful vocals will transport you to another realm.
- Toxic Holocaust: Get ready for an onslaught of thrash metal madness with Toxic Holocaust. Their aggressive and relentless sound is sure to ignite your inner metalhead and leave you craving more.
- Lord Dying: Combining elements of sludge, doom, and death metal, Lord Dying delivers a sonic assault that is both crushing and atmospheric.
- Besotten: Their first demo recording, In Filth it Will Be Found, showcases 17 minutes of both bestial death metal and decaying death-doom with grim, aural emanations.
- Petrification: This modern take on old school death metal is rotten and abstract. It's technical, progressive, methodical death metal with continuous, rythmic measures.
- Coffin Rot: This old school death metal band is gory, no frills, and perfect for fans of Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, and Morbid Angel without being too comparable to one point of worship.
Portland, Oregon, is a city that embraces individuality, creativity, and the great outdoors. As you explore its vibrant streets and immerse yourself in its natural wonders, let Death Metaled be your guide to this extraordinary destination.
Grab our Death Metaled Portland, OR tee and head out to explore Stumptown!
Follow us on Instagram @deathmetaled for updates on new drops and posts.